Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Je m'appelle Kate.

Bonjour Amis! 

Je m'appelle Kate. J'ai dix-huit ans et Je vais vivre en France pour un an! J'aime mon chat. Il s'appelle Dolce. 


Ok, ok you caught me. The above statement is indeed the product of a French 1 class. Consequently, I must apologize early; until I learn how to say more than "I love my cat" in French, I am sure you will read much frenglish on this blog.

As my darling friend and co-blogger, Krystyne, mentioned, I just graduated! I feel I should feel sad, but honestly, I'm not! This graduation sealed the hefty chapter of my life titled high school, but it immediately turned the page to a new and exciting chapter: France! Granted, I will miss some close friends, but with a world where we have skype, I am not too worried! Oh, I almost forgot! I'm sure having one of my best friends, Krystyne, in France with me to share this epic European experience will help to ease any parting anxiety I may have.

This is my official third day of summer, and I am more excited than I have ever been for this wonderful season! Pourquoi? This summer is not like summers before; this summer is the summer before I move to Europe! To cure some of this itching anticipation, both Krystyne and I thought it would be fun to start this blog.  
Although I do not think we have a strong vision for it, for now it will serve as a log for all the research and plans we will be busy conducting this summer. Then once in France, it will serve to capture and share our european adventures with our multitude of followers (mom and dad ha.) 

So why France? Well firstly, I want to minor in French, and I will be attending a French university to gain some of the necessary credits. Secondly, I am a complete Francophile! I've conducted some research on French culture, and I have found factors in which I am excited to completely indulge:

French Cuisine: I've always been teased for hating gold fish and drive thrus, but I won't have to worry about that ridicule in France! With a multitude of farmers' markets, the French share my passion for fresh food and slow fast-food! Also, I believe one of life's greatest luxuries is simply enjoying a cup of coffee. The French know how to do this immaculately. It is perfectly acceptable to sit, laugh, chat, people watch, and purely live for hours in the city cafes that dot every European city.


French fashion:  This reason may triumph all other reasons contributing to my excitement. France is the home to Mr. Louboutin and Mrs. Chanel. You see, if fashion were a religion then these two would be gods. This would make France the promise land to religious followers of fashion, like myself. 

European traveling: As Krystyne blogged previously, we picked up some wonderful student travel guides. We have had our noses buried in them since that day mapping out all sorts of adventures for ourselves! Barcelona one weekend and Prague the next! I love this aspect about Europe, traveling is so accessible! I have been recommended this site: ryanair.com, and I know this will be my absolute best friend next year! It offers intra-European flights from just 10 euros!

To conclude each post, I think it would be fun to have a French word or phrase of the day! For this one, I don't really know what to put, so I will put just that: Je ne sais pas! (I don't know!)

A bientôt!
Kate 

2 comments:

  1. okay dear it's Care Bear and I decided I would be the first to follow you! (hope that's okay) hugs and love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh darn it. I wanted to be the first to follow and comment. I'm number four on following, not sure on comments. BEAUTIFUL BLOG girls. Have a great time. So looking forward to reading about your adventures.

    Buon voyage. :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete