Friday, August 6, 2010

Audrey Hepburn





My obsession of the moment is everything Audrey Hepburn. Well, that's not completely true. I have always loved the charm and grace of Ms. Hepburn from a young age, but my current summer read Fifth Avenue, 5 a.m. has me falling in love with this independent and enchanting dah-ling all over again. Being inspired by Kate's own inward transformation, I would like to a little more Audrey in my life. While technically not French, she was born in Ixelles, Belgium, and French is one of Belgium's official languages. I hoping with that logic I may justify including Audrey in our list of glamourous French idols.

Audrey in Paris for Funny Face
Audrey exuded a peculiar beauty and innocence about her, far from her contemporaries' ideal of the perfect Hollywood starlet (this was a time where the curvaceous silhouettes of Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe ruled). Audrey had none of that. She was too skinny, too gangly, and not at all shapely. Her teeth and mouth were too big for her face and the size of her feet were positively manly. Oh, how the ideal of beauty has changed! Today, she is the one of the most idolized and respected actresses -- model of independence, success, and effervescent wit who was unafraid to challenge society's mold of fame and beauty. She was simply Audrey forever and always. 

Due to my crazed current obsession I threw myself a mini movie marathon today. I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's (of course) and my favorite Ms. Hepburn movie, Sabrina. For this post, I think that I am going to share with you why Audrey is -- in a word -- timeless. 



  









Audrey through the years


The birth of the little black dress (by Givenchy of course)
One of my most favorite dresses. (Sabrina)
Even toward the end of her life, she was a vision of classic elegance.
Audrey the Philanthropist
Audrey the Style Icon and the Givenchy neckline

Hepburn and Givenchy. . . 

muse and designer until the very end. 

I hope that you enjoyed that little stroll through the boulevards of my mind. 
Au revoir,
Krystyne

No comments:

Post a Comment