Sunday, August 15, 2010

A few tips of the trade

Mes amies,
My time at home dwindles down to a mere week, and bittersweet emotions bubble to the surface. As the siren call of my life in France continues to entrance and excite me, I also will miss all the people that I leave back home. With my bon voyage coming closer and closer, I decided -- well actually prompted my ever cautious mom (thanks mom!) -- to research a few tips and tricks to stay safe and sound in the streets of Europe. No one wants a memorable time in Europe to look like a scene out of Taken.

I have complied a list of three of the tips I found on venturing in the City of Love.

1. Beware of pickpockets. I know that this may seem like common sense, but with the glistening lights and beautiful sights of the city this thought may slip from your mind as easily as that wallet from your bag. Try to stay away from particularly busy places. This is especially important during the night. If you happen to find yourself in such a situation, keep that bag close at hand. I strongly recommend having a shoulder bag with a zipper close to ensure the greatest amount of protection.

2. Here in America we typically add a substantial tip to our bill when we eat out. However, in Paris they typically add the gratuity in the total price before they give you the check. Over-tipping is a major faux pas. Make sure that you only give a couple of euros if you feel the need to tip particularly magnifique service.

3. This one is aimed straight at those amazing women willing to explore the world. DO NOT make prolonged eye contact or outwardly flirtatious gestures toward those French men you happen to see walking the street. While here in America, slapping a big smile on your face is a way to say, "Hey! I'm friendly come talk to me. I'd love to make a new friend." In Paris, it says. . .  well. . .  we've all seen Taken, right? 

I hope that this has helped a few of you wanting to safely visit the wonders of the City of Love. I'll be sure to post more as I find them. If you have anymore, don't hesitate to comment and let us know! Kate and I would love to know the ins-and-outs of traveling Europe.

A bientôt
Krystyne

No comments:

Post a Comment