Sunday, September 19, 2010

C'est la vie!

Bonsoir mes amies!

I hope that you have been enjoying looking at the pictures as much as I do taking them. :) While most of my posts have been recounting my travels, I think that I'm going to dedicate this post something a little deeper: an insight into the cultural difference between life in France and life in America.

It's during times like these that I really wish that I signed up for the Culture class offered here (unfortunately, statistics took that spot in my schedule), but great observational skills and being highly receptive to the environment makes is a fantastic substitute. So as a mini expert on French and American relations (I mean, I've been here almost a month. That's gotta give me some street cred), I'm going to take this time to clear up and maybe even confirm some of the oldest of stereotypes about the French and about Americans in Europe.


Disclaimer: Everything that I'm saying is just taken from personal observations and in no way 100% fool proof. If you want to experience it for yourself, come and join me in the land of the châteaux and croissants! :)

1. The French are incredibly rude and care about no one other than themselves.
False. All of the wonderful French boys and girls in my classes are some of the sweetest people that you will ever meet. What is mistaken as rude behavior is their reserved demeanor. The French have a structured sense of etiquette. When they great each other, it is always a kiss on both cheeks (your left cheek to right, mind you). When you walk into a store or up to a counter, a bonjour/bonsoir is required as well as the parting, "Merci, au revoir." What I see in the French is not a rudeness but a more introverted way of dealing with the external environment and a hidden gem of kindness and warmth behind a seemingly cold exterior.

2. The French think of Americans as loud and obnoxious.
I'm going to say both true and false, and this answer actually wholly depends upon the American! Compared to the euphonic, delicacy of French, English is a loud and robust language. When you speak English in France, it will be heard. It's not a crime or a faux pas to speak English in France; however, greater care and perception must occur. Take care to not yell or act rambunctious because you will stand out in a bad way. Embrace the French way of savoring silence and relax.

3. All French people act like Pepe LePew.
So not true. While the French may have a perceived arrogance because of stereotype number one, they do not ooze that arrogance like the beloved cartoon skunk. To be quite honest, it is rather difficult to get to know a frenchman and have them open up to you right away. It doesn't happen. It is a common stereotype here that Americans are a very smiley breed of people, always having a façade of joy and happiness. That is not the French way. They take the time to get to know people investing in a slow way of building relationships rather than the fast-passed facebook driven relationships we see so much in America today. They remain honest to themselves and allow for a deeper understanding of a person to develop rather than jumping into a friendship. This has been the hardest thing to adapt to since coming. All I have wanted to do is chat excitedly and smile constantly around these people, but they insist on a more mellow approach where the end result is a deep last friendship.

So that what was floating in my mind at the moment. I hope that provided a little more insight into my life in France. I've got chimie organic demain, so I should probably get to bed.

Á bientôt!
Krystyne

No comments:

Post a Comment