Saturday, September 18, 2010

To Catch a Mediterranean Prince

Oh the Côte d'Azur, how you have captured my heart.

Hello all,
Just thought that I would share with you my first little trip in Europe, and it was quite the trip! Almost the entire group came down to Nice for the long weekend. It was filled with sun, rocks, and luxury cars. Nice is positively gorgeous. With macaroon colored buildings playfully dipping their toes in the cool Mediterranean sea, what's not to love in this city? It was a six hour bus ride through the winding roads passing through the Alps, but it was worth the slight nausea and exhaustion.

We were in Nice from Thrusday night to Sunday morning. The real fun was had during Friday and Saturday. Friday morning was spent at the Marché du Fleurs where the créme de la créme of French flora was ripe for the picking.

The Marché du Fleurs is a fantastic outdoor market for those looking to eat in Nice for cheap. My lunch for that day was fresh framboises (raspberries), Socca (delish chickpea crêpe special to the region), une boutille d'eau (water bottle), and tois petit cannoli (I know that this one isn't really French, but Italy is right there). All of this was had at about 7 euro which is quite the deal in this highly touristy town. After strolling though the market and having the freshest of lunches. The siren call of the beach only a stone's throw away lured me to Nice's famous rocks.
Here they are!
However, I couldn't just sit on the rocky (at times uncomfortable) beach ALL day. So what did I do?
PARASAILING!!
After the relaxation/exhilaration of the beach, we decided to see the sights and ran into the chateau. The hike up gave the most beautiful views of the city, and a cascading waterfall welcomed us at the top.
le chateau
Of course as members of the female gender, a photoshoot was obligatory!



What a wonderful day in Nice. The fun, however, did not stop there. The next morning promised glitz, glamour, and luxury: Monaco here I come!

If you are ever in Nice, do NOT miss going to Monaco. Only a 45 min (1 euro!!!) bus ride away, it is your way of living like the top 1% for a day. Plus, it's mecca for any Grace Kelly fans out there. 

                            


In the land where the taxis are Audis and a person's first car is a Lamborghini, Monaco is definitely the land of milk and honey for those rich and famous. The only thing that we could afford was taking pictures of all the famous landmarks. Here are a few of my favorite pictures to motivate me to become successful in life:

This is what I call Batmobile with Child.

My other car is a 50ft yacht.

Other than reveling in things that I will never be able to afford we did some historical sightseeing as well! 
Le Musée Oceanographique

Prince's Palace
Cathedral where Princess Grace was married
What a perfect 3-day weekend! I wish that every long weekend could be like this. The Côte d'Azur is definitely a place I will return to one day. Oh how Europe is spoiling me so!

Á plus tard,
Krystyne










                        

No comments:

Post a Comment